WHAT IS MIGRAINE?
It is a very common problem nowadays. It can be defined as the persistent and throbbing headache, usually on one side of the head that may happen with nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light.
It can be commonly seen in age groups from 10 years old to 40 years old and with increasing stress and strain on human life this problem is getting more common.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES?
Many researches have concluded that migraines can be caused due to chemical imbalances in brain, genetic inheritance and other reasons.
- You are much more likely to have migraines if one or both of your parents had migraines.
- Research proves that women are more likely to get migraine than men.
- Age plays an important role, Teenage is the most vulnerable age but it can happen at any age
- Drinking less water or skipping meals.
- Women may get migraine due to their menstrual cycles, to menopause, or to using hormonal birth control
- Stress can also trigger migraines and also if you don’t get enough sleep.
- Viral diseases such as common cold or the flu, may trigger migraines, especially in children
- Mild headaches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling feverish
- Feeling exhausted and dizzy
- Unclear vision
TYPES OF MIGRAINES:
- Migraine with Aura
Other auras can affect your other senses and this might include a weird feeling or ringing in the ears or changes in smell, taste, or touch.
Migraine without Aura
These are more common and you can feel some symptoms several hours before the headache starts, including: anxiety, depression and exhaustion.
- Pain Relief medicines
These medicines cure the symptoms of the migraine. When taken too long, these might cause more headaches, so they should be taken with care.
- Preventive Medicines
These medicines are prescribed by the doctors depending upon the severity of the condition. These may include – 1. Anti-depressant pills,
- Blood pressure lowering medications,
- Anti-seizure drugs, and other medications.
iii. Home Remedies
- Applying lavender essential oil may ease migraine pain.
- acupressure is a credible alternative therapy for people in pain from chronic headaches and other conditions
- The menthol in peppermint oil may stop a migraine from coming on.
- Ginger is known to ease nausea caused by many conditions, including migraines.
- Yoga and other exercises may ease migraine conditions.
- Have magnesium rich diet as magnesium deficiency often results in migraines.
- Get head massages using peppermint oil or any other soothing massage oils.